North Holland, Full-time, Regular
Tech Experience level
Netherlands Open date
2018-07-22 Job ID
We are looking for a Technology Ops Engineer
Passionate about customers & colleagues, explorative by nature and knowledgable about what IT can do
Think Forward! Our purpose is to empower people to stay a step ahead in life and in business. To deliver on our promise we must be where our customers are: everywhere most of the times by digital means. Our customers expect consistently superior experience, instant and borderless. As do our colleagues. That experience is surprisingly personal, remarkably easy, refreshingly smart!
And we are leading the bank industry in maximising the many opportunities of new technologies. If you are incredibly excited, like we are, about tech and the great potential for progress and innovation, we might have an irresistible job for you!
ING is transforming rapidly towards a top-notch IT company with a Top Engineering culture, incorporating FinTech start-up mentality and financial innovation. We are end-to-end agile, work in multidisciplinary teams and use cutting edge technology. This enables us to offer our customers the best possible service and respond to rapidly changing customer demands.
Profile Ops Engineer
The ideal candidate:
An energetic Ops Engineer with a passion for IT. This job will see you work in a squad of one of the CIO NL Tribes. You enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team and you also value the opportunity to apply your own expertise. The customer perspective is your primary driver for working in a squad. You work using the Scrum method and Continuous Delivery Engineering Practices to bring applications into production and under management, administer them and eventually decommission them. When necessary, you take on IT development tasks. As an Ops Engineer, you contribute to accomplishing the squad's mission. You do this by working on the customer journey from the backlog, using the Agile method end-to-end.
Tasks and responsibilties
The Ops Engineer bears primary responsibility for the stability of his or her own application, identifies application and system-related problems and takes the lead in resolving incidents. Your tasks consist of monitoring, management, studying, testing and running the application. You proactively monitor the technical behaviour and performance in all aspects for the entire stack in order to prevent problems. This means you can contribute to completion of all activities in the backlog. The following items are vital in this:
1. Contribute to the new way of working
- In the Tribe structure, you are part of an ambitious and highly motivated squad with an Agile way of working. You work together with colleagues from other areas of expertise and take initiative in expanding knowledge (both within and outside of your area of expertise) that is relevant for the Tribe in which you work.
- Where possible, you take on tasks/activities that contribute to the mission, even when they are not entirely within your area of expertise.
- You have an up to date vision relating to IT expertise.
- Deploying and running a production system: you provide level-2 support for your application.
- You specify, design and conduct Performance and Acceptance tests (including High Availability and Disaster Recovery Tests) with support from the Dev Engineer.
- Specifying, designing, testing and deploying the runtime scripts (e.g. stop/start/purge/backup).
- Specifying, designing, testing and deploying rollback scripts.
- You configure and implement Monitoring Tooling (for 24/7 monitoring of the Master Control Room (MCR)) using the correct Event Alerts, as agreed with the MCR.
- You ensure that your squad and application fully contribute to ING's implementation of Service Transition and the Service Operations ITIL processes.
3. Contribute to team and personal development
- You contribute to the development of your squad by actively giving and receiving feedback.
- As an experienced Ops Engineer, you coach less experienced colleagues and see to their training.
- You are responsible for developing your own expertise and its application. You know where to acquire this knowledge, and you actively request help from your IT Chapter Lead in your personal development.
Behavior and competencies
- You are inspiring and exude energy and passion.
- You have a keen IT market focus: you are passionate about major trends in the new way of working, including Lean IT, continuous delivery, cloud processes, etc.
- You are focused on collaboration: you set aside your own 'ego' in the interests of achieving the best results – you help others achieve success.
- You achieve optimum results by empowering teams and giving them responsibility, at the same time 'provoking' them, challenging them and keeping them 'on the ball'.
- You encourage people to achieve real personal development.
- You have the capacity to learn new content quickly and transfer it.
- You actively seek help and feedback, but are also not afraid to give feedback.
- You are curious and always look out for innovation opportunities in your focus area.
- You have a mindset that focusses on continuous improvement.
Knowledge and experience
- You have experience in and knowledge of multi-tier applications.
- Thorough knowledge of databases, application servers and operating systems.
- Understanding and knowledge of detailed technical behaviour of your own system at normal and peak loads.
- Experience with taking the lead in the case of risks related to performance of the application after change releases.
- Understanding and technical knowledge of the entire stack on which the application runs.
- Understanding of how your application fits into its overall chain.
- You have mastered of at least one scripting language and you possess expertise in software development practices.
- You are familiar with testing and deployment automation.
- You have experience working in an Agile organisation.
- Professional and intellectual ability at higher vocational education (HBO) or university level, with a background in IT
- Certification and/or proven skills in one or more high-level programming languages
- Clean coding or industrial software course.
What do we offer?
Working at our company means working in a dynamic and international setting. Individual development for our employees is very important and that is why we offer excellent courses and programs. Diva behaviour is not tolerated, neither is underperformance. We only hire people with exceptional talents and therefore you’ll be working with highly skilled people.
In addition we offer:
- A competitive salary, 27 holiday days and excellent benefits like a 13th month, Pension scheme, personal allowance, laptop, mobile phone, etc.
- Working in an area which is of great importance to the strategy of ING
- An International atmosphere
- A full time position (choose either 36 or 40 hour week)
- Great career prospect