Committed to sustainability
ING strives to make a responsible contribution to a sustainable future.
We are aware of the fact that, in view of our major role in society, we have a responsibility towards the people and the world around us. Therefore, we do everything in our power to shoulder our corporate social responsibility and to take a sustainable approach to doing business.
A number of examples:
- we have been 100% climate neutral since 2007
- we encourage our employees to use public transport and we take a conservative approach to providing company cars
- we offer our customers an extensive range of ‘green’ products
- we finance renewable power projects
- we are critical when deciding what we are willing to invest in
- we have been working closely with Unicef since 2005, and by doing so we have already given 885,000 children around the globe access to better education.
All of our activities within the framework of corporate social responsibility (CSR) are linked to our core business in some way because that is where our expertise lies. That in turn enables us to make a substantial difference. We structure our CSR activities around four themes:
- accessible for everyone
- financially fit, now and in the future
- doing business sustainably
- youth development
Employer with a social conscience
We also have an important role to play with respect to sustainability as an employer. We offer our people a safe and motivating work environment and invest substantially in their growth and development. That is one way in which we stimulate sustainable employee employability, among other things.
Employee volunteer efforts
Many ING employees are involved in volunteer activities, and we even give them the opportunity to participate during working hours. Some employees work on local volunteer projects based close to where they live or work. Others visit children in schools, give special classes on financial topics or help young people to prepare for job interviews and internships.