Backend Test Engineer
Employee | Information Technology | Professional | Amsterdam | 2020-11-20 | REQ-10031535
Backend Test Engineer
In 2014, ING suffered from various outages in payments processing and it was repeatedly reported by newspapers and television. ING management started a taskforce to mitigate the issues. However, the real solution was born at an ING Hackathon a few months before. In just 24 hours the winning team build a simple engine which could process payments in real-time. This really improved customer experience compared to the batch processing used so far. On top of that it was built on Cassandra, a distributed database technology. In the months and years that followed, the Hackathon concept was expanded towards a full-blown Cassandra clusters running over three data centres with the necessary application software on top of it. We now have an application that is running the real-time and batch processes in parallel and it’s designed to tolerate failure! This new system is now fully up and running and processes around 5 million real time and batch payments a day.
Now we are facing a large scope extension. The main load is currently from the Dutch customers, but we will extend our scope for to Europe and worldwide! This includes new connectivity to many account management systems and clearing houses. Technically this is about Java, Kafka, Akka, Cassandra and Tibco. Functionally, this is about real-time, batch, high volume asynchronous processing, stateless communication, resilience patterns, idempotent application design and much more. The top engineers who won the Hackathon and delivered the payment engine are also driving the next level. We are looking for a backend test engineer to strengthen our the area!
What you’ll do
Your squad is responsible for the maintenance and operations of a part of the payment engine. Each engineer has his or her specialty and your specialty is testing. You will make sure the application is of high quality on all aspects (functional, performance, resilience, security). Most of our tests will be automatically executed and therefore test automation will be part of your job. As the whole team is responsible for maintenance and operations, we expect you to take part of standby as well.
Next to the squad you will also be part of a chapter. The chapter consists of test engineers from different squads. Within the chapter you focus on quality and continuous improvement of yourselves, your colleagues, our products and processes. For example improving test frameworks, bringing in new tools, improving the CI/CD setup, implementing new test frameworks, …
We are not looking for test automation engineers, as you're tasks will be more divers then that. Examples of your tasks are:
- Refinement and planning with your squad, squads from the end to end chain and the product owner. The feature needs to be an integrated part of the total solution
- Apply your understanding of capacity- and performance management to ensure that our application is performing top of the class
- You setup continuous delivery pipelines and use these in your squad
- Automate and execute functional tests with cucumber and karate
- You help the squad taking counter measures to ensure confidentiality and integrity of data and availability of the system
- You use the most important ITIL processes and understand how these support the quality of your application
How to succeed
As you will be working in an Agile international environment, we expect you to have experience with Agile and/or DevOps. Also it’s mandatory to have good oral and written skills in English. Within ING we look for engineers that behave according the Orange Code. So you are a pro-active team-player, you’re always looking for improvement and you teach, coach and train our colleague to improve as well.
We expect that:
- You have at least 3 years’ experience in testing of back end systems and at least 3 years’ with Cucumber (java implementation)
- Your testing experience is at least 5 years and in those years you have executed different types of testing (functional, performance, resilience, security).
- You focus on delivering quality above quantity
- You are have hands on experience with CI/CD
- You are comfortable with collaboration and open communication
It would be nice if:
- You have worked in the banking industry before and know ISO20022, Swift and SEPA.
- You are familiar with tools like GitLab, TFS, AzureDevOps, Gatling, Kibana and Promethues
- You have hands-on experience with testing applications build with on one or more of the following technologies: Cassandra (CQL), Java (Akka, Spring), JMS (EMS/MQ), Kafka, Tibco Business Works, Unix.
A job from 36 to 40 hours and a unique offer that fits in with the times of today. We take into account your home situation and your ambitions and help you to balance work and private life. Discover yourself our employment conditions.
To give you an idea, we will tell you about the benefits of working at ING:
- A job from 36 to 40 hours that fits your schedule to balance work and private life
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- Travel reimbursement
- 24 vacation days with 36-hour work week (or 27 days with 40)
- Pension scheme
- 13th month salary
- Individual Savings Contribution (BIS), 3.5% of your gross annual salary
- 8% Holiday payment
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues
- Work Agile, so new ideas come to life faster
Contact the recruiter attached to the advertisement for more information. Want to apply directly? Please upload your CV and motivation letter by clicking the “Apply” button.
With around 52,000 employees and operations in approximately 40 countries, there is no shortage of opportunities for people with initiative who want to make a diﬀerence. We hire smart people like you for your potential, not your past. Our biggest expectation is that you’ll stay curious. Keep learning. Take on more responsibility. In return, we’ll back you to develop into an even more awesome version of yourself.
If you want to work at the cutting edge of what’s possible, surrounded by progressive, inspiring and supportive colleagues, there is no better place to invest your talents than at ING. Join us. Apply today.