Chapter Lead / IT engineer Global Market Database squad
Employee | Information Technology | Professional | Amsterdam | 2020-10-01 | REQ-10029702
Chapter Lead / IT engineer Global Market Database squad
If you want to work at a place with a great amount of freedom to innovate, where we believe that you can live by the Agile manifesto without jeopardizing continuity and compliance measures, where we are committed to deliver stable and secure services to end users, and where we have a no nonsense getting-things done mentality, then please read on! We currently have an IT Chapter Lead vacancy in the NL Competitive Service area of the Financial Markets & Global Treasury within the Marketdata Management family.
Our purpose is to empower people to stay a step ahead in life and in business. We are an industry recognized strong brand with positive recognition from customers in many countries, strong financial position, Omni-channel distribution strategy and international network. Check out this video showing the current transformation happening at ING.
IT for Financial Markets & Group Treasury is responsible for the IT environment that enables the most crucial commercial activities of ING: Trading, Risk Management, and Liquidity Management.
Tens of thousands of trades are being processed in real time by our systems every hour. Flawless processing or immediate correction are key as trades covering billions of euros are passing through our systems each day.
We use top notch in-house engineered solutions and market-leading vendor applications like Murex, Calypso, Adaptiv Credit Risk, Documentum and Global Market Database (GMDB) to name a few.
Our teams are spread across the globe: the Netherlands, Romania, Belgium, Singapore, UK and India, serving users in over 15 countries worldwide. Our teams are often virtual and the Engineers forming them come from every continent in the world. Therefore, our main language is English.
Working in DevOps Scrum teams we are end-to-end responsible for our software: feature analysis, design, development, implementation and support of the production environment (we build it, we own it).
We automate and smarten up everything: deployment, functional & technical performance testing, system health checks, monitoring plus alerting and anything else that is still done manually.
We aim to go to fully self-managing and self-optimizing systems.
We are now transforming the whole Financial Markets organization to ING’s One Agile Way of Working, where teams are composed of IT Engineers and business colleagues for a faster and more relevant delivery to our customers.
About the Global Market Database (GMDB) squad
GMDB is a DevOps team within the FM> Competitive Services tribe located in Amsterdam and is the dedicated Chapter for delivering market data within ING. At the moment GMDB delivers market data to more than 75 applications throughout the bank.
As a chapter lead / IT engineer you will work within the GMDB squad and will be a valuable asset to the team. Your main focus will be driven by the data management challenges GMDB is eager to tackle in the coming period. Vendor agnostic data retrieval, data migrations, change reporting and visibility of data consumption by receiving systems are highly valued assets within GMDB.
You are an energetic IT Engineer with a passion for IT and a positive can-do mind-set. This will be your role in the squad for approximately 60% of your time. You are a team player working as a core member of a multidisciplinary and cross-functional squad: a self-managing, autonomous unit with end-to-end responsibility for a customer journey whose primary drive is the customer perspective. You will be involved in the whole development lifecycle, from refining user stories to monitoring software in production. Close collaboration within and across the squads and with the consumer is of utmost importance to you.
The remaining 40% you spend on building up expertise in your Chapter and developing your Chapter members. You are enthusiastic about transferring your knowledge to others and coaching Chapter members and oversee their personal development. You love helping people to grow the mastery of their skills.
How to succeed
As IT Chapter Lead you are the authority in that specific field and have a proven track record. The excellent Engineers in your Chapter will grow faster and become world class because of you. You will split your time between being an Engineer in a squad and coaching your Chapter.
You hierarchically oversee a chapter of 7 to 10 engineers. This covers the recruiting of new talents, people administration, personal development and evaluation of your Chapter members. You inspire and encourage your Chapter members to develop themselves, providing them coaching on both professionally as well as personally. This could be part of your personal development as well, if you’re not fully familiar with it at this point in time in your professional career.
- Ambassador for cultural change and a role model in terms of the Agile Way of Working: ensure continuous learning based on feedback, taking into account the different backgrounds of people across cultures and geographies
- Develops individuals and teams and maintains a high level of performance, taking into account that teams can work in different locations, countries and time zones
- Management responsibility for 7 to 10 engineers, sharing passion and expert knowledge in one of the fields of the IT Area
- Highly proficient at identifying international market trends that may impact the way of working of IT professionals, and able to adopt and implement these trends
- Highly proficient at helping the organization structure complex engineering issues so that these can be completely redesigned, rather than improved incrementally: technology, development methodologies, end-to-end testing, Identity and Access Management, IT Risk control, Infra provisioning, Change Management, Continuous Improvement / Continuous Deliver
We operate according to a BizDevOps development process and strongly believe in the Agile approach delivering IT solutions. The focus is on high-quality mission-critical target oriented development with regular milestones. Feature delivery is driven by the priorities determined by the Business and Product Owners, working on a day-to-day basis with the IT organization.
The main challenges addressed at all times by our IT engineers are:
- Consider the outcome of prioritization processes and related dependencies
- Cross-domain coordination with other squads within ING
- Coordination with external data vendors
- Perform meaningful testing for several relevant goals
- Aim at improving time-to-market and added business value
- Automate reporting for visibility purposes
- Smart delivery
Desired skills and experience as a leader
- Management experience in getting the best out of people, when working with multiple cultures at the same time; preferably, in an Agile organization
- Achieve optimal results by empowering people and giving them responsibility, at the same time challenging them and keeping them on the ball; encouraging people to act on their innovative ideas and proposals
- Have a keen IT market focus: you are passionate about major trends in the way of working including, for example, Lean IT, continuous delivery, cloud processes, etc.
- Inspiring and exuding energy and passion
- Your management approach is based on facts, data and empathy
- Experience in developing and implementing IT policy
Desired skills and experience as an IT Engineer
- Master of Science in Computer Science or an equivalent field.
- Proven track record in this role, preferably in an international environment
- Good knowledge (or at least keen interest to gain it) of some of the areas of financial markets
- Experience with working in an environment of data management
- Strong fundamentals in software design and development
- Multiple years of experience with executing the processes within an Agile working environment, including risk control and configuration management.
- Experience with software development in Java, C/C++, NodeJS or equivalent languages, preferable in Continuous Integration environments such as Azure DevOps/Jenkins
- In-depth knowledge of Unix tools and Unix Shell scripting
- Knowledge of XSLT, C, Java, Perl, RDBMS, SQL and VBA is recommended
- Good knowledge of RHEL and Windows 2012 server
- Knowledge of connectivity (e.g. ssl), DNS, firewalls)
What do we offer
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work at home
- 13th month salary
- Individual Savings Contribution (BIS), 3.5% of your gross annual salary
- 8% Holiday payment
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities to realize your ambitions
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues who strive for the very best