Product Owner Model Validation
Employee | Risk Management | Professional | Amsterdam | 2020-03-10 | REQ-10026507
Model Validation Credit Risk is looking for an enthusiastic Product Owner
with background in modelling validation and/or risk management
Our Model Validation Credit Risk tribe (MVCR) is a growing, energetic, international team of about 40 highly qualified professionals with various quantitative backgrounds located in Amsterdam and Warsaw. We are responsible for validating Credit risk models used by ING worldwide. By bringing in our expertise we assure that models are appropriate for intended use, compliant with internal policies and external regulations and its limitations are well understood by the organisation. Our goal is to ensure a strong modelling landscape within ING.
The scope of MVCRR is primarily on IRB, IFRS9 and Credit Decision Models (CDM).
Our team has been substantially growing in size and we are revising our organisation structure. That includes the introduction of Product Owner roles for our model validation squads.
The role of Product Owner:
As a Product Owner you are the ‘spider in the web’ for one or multiple model validation squads , both internally towards the team members and externally towards the stakeholders. You continuously align the demand for model validations and other work with the supply and availability of the model validators, resulting in a comprehensive planning. This planning needs to be aligned with the various stakeholders and will be part of a broader, end-to-end (or “integrated”) planning of model lifecycle activities..
You are responsible for the WHAT a squad does:
- defining squad goals, and
- driving planning, filling and prioritising the backlog.
You set the demand (delivery) for the squad, which means you:
- own the squad validation calendar (e.g. periodical validations);
- plan and support all validation projects, with a special focus on pre-approval validations;
- timely send upcoming validation planning (submission requirements) to Model Development;
- are responsible for continuous alignment and communication with stakeholders during validations;
- ensure validations are delivered on time and on specification
- are the escalation point for planning and alignment issues; and
- ensure proper audit trail and controls.
You will work closely with the Chapter Lead(s) to align the demand for model validations with the available resources. Together you ensure that work is effectively allocated in a squad.
You facilitate the Way of work by:
- managing the squads backlog in ServiceNow (SNOW)
- delivering regular planning progress dashboard to the Tribe Lead
- providing performance feedback input to validators and Chapter Lead.
- prioritize the product backlog by defining road maps in “Quarterly Business Reviews”, by aligning in “Market places” with senior management and other Product Owners of the Tribe, and by consulting with several departments of ING Group.
- continuously take the initiative to improve the way of work and the collaboration within your squad. You frequently align with the Agile Coach, the Chapter Leads, and other Product Owners
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an enthusiastic, communicative and energizing personality who can strengthen our squads with excellent organizing, stakeholder management and planning skills. You are a team player with a proactive, positive and result-oriented attitude, combining a well-organized approach with a good sense of organisation sensitivity. You are an advocate of the “ING Orange Code”, a naturally collaborative person, who listens and invests in others to achieve common goals. You are transparent, embrace the ING One Way of Working and have the personality and ability to put a stick in the ground when needed.
- have an academic degree in economics or quantitative field with background in and affinity with models;
- have at least 3 – 5 years related work experience in risk management and/or the modelling domain
- have experience in planning & organizing multiple projects simultaneously, using various reporting tools, e.g. dashboards, presentations, resource estimates;
- are organized, accurate, detail oriented and able to bring strategic issues into concrete actionable plans;
- have excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, you get energy from solving planning puzzles & issues, you are persuasive and feel comfortable to interact with senior management;
- have experience in the Agile way of working and an interest in progressing with this;
- have fluent communication skills in English both verbally and in writing.
You are prepared to travel occasionally. Main base is Amsterdam.
Your work environment
- Our Tribe is part of the Model Risk Management (MoRM) department which currently consists of two validation tribes (Credit Risk and Trading & Banking Book Risks) and a Model Risk Oversight tribe.
- MoRM has adopted the ING One Way of Working. In our organisation set-up we distinguish Chapters and squads. MVCR in Amsterdam is organised around 5 squads (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany Wholesale Banking, and a bank wide squad).
- Our main stakeholders are ING’s head office and local risk departments (in over 40 countries worldwide), senior management (including the CRO and Executive Board), internal and external auditors, the ECB and other regulators. To ensure its independence, Model Risk Management reports directly to the CRO.
- The environment that you work in can be described as dynamic, professional with fast changing requirements and needs. As an expert, you will deliver all the necessary know-how and skills within the squads to realise the shared purpose, day by day.
- MVCR promotes a culture of continuous improvement & innovation, ongoing feedback and empowering people to take responsibility.
What do we offer
- A 40h (or 36h) working week.
- A 13th month, contribution to individual savings, choice in transportation allowances.
- Ample opportunities for training and development.
- Great career opportunities both national and international.
- A highly innovative, rapidly expanding environment!
Apply directly online by clicking on “Apply for this job”. Please submit your CV and a motivation letter.
For further information, please contact Arjan de Ridder, Tribe Lead Model Validation Credit Risk (Arjan.de.Ridder@ing.com).