Java 11+ Back-End Software Engineer – Payments Processing SEPA
Employee | Information Technology | Professional | Amsterdam | 2022-10-04 | REQ-10041502
Our people make all the difference to our success!
In wholesale banking payments processing, we are looking for an experienced backend software development engineer. We would like to hear from you are motivated by developing real-time payment systems and you believe that you can live by the agile manifesto practising agile scrum.
If you think the open position is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
What happened in the past
In 2014, ING suffered from various outages in payments processing and it was repeatedly reported by newspapers and on television. ING management started a task force to mitigate the issues. However, the real solution was born at an ING Hackathon a few months before. In just 24 hours the winning team delivered a prototype that could process payments in real-time which was far better than the batch processing used so far. The new system was named Real-Time Payments Engine which nowadays processes hundreds of millions of Loan, Savings and Payments transactions per year.
At this moment we are building the platform for Instant Payments and Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) Credit Transfer payments for all European ING entities. This includes new connectivity to many account management systems and clearinghouses. Think of real-time and batch processing of high volume asynchronous, stateless communication, resilience patterns, idempotent application design and much more.
What you'll do
You will focus predominantly on the extension of the payment routing engine to support multiple European ING entities. This clustered application is written using java 11 and the reactive streams approach.
You will work in the dynamic and challenging environment of wholesale banking technology (WB Tech) in Tribe Payments. We operate according to a Scrum development process with two-week sprints and strongly believe in the DevOps approach to delivering IT solutions. We strive to have the high-quality mission-critical software delivered in time using iterative development with regular milestone reviews with stakeholders following the ING's agile way of working to reduce surprises in what we build.
What you will bring
We expect you to speak English and to have 6 (or more) of the following skills
- Demonstrable experience producing reusable code components
- 7+ years of software engineering experience on Java, Spring Boot, Restful API and supporting libraries
- Understanding the clustering technologies and issues, such as Akka clusters and Cassandra clusters
- Understand how the distributed systems work (i.e., you have the ability to explain the CAP theorem and Two Generals problem)
- Experience with containers (Docker, docker-compose, Kubernetes)
- Understanding of messaging platforms (i.e., Kafka, EMS, ActiveMQ and/or IBM MQ)
- You think of security and failure during the design stage
- Security by design
- Experience with XML processing and validation
- Understanding NoSQL data modelling (i.e., Cassandra)
- You have a learning attitude. Not only to master new technologies and programming languages, but also on the personal level. You are able to give and receive feedback
- You help others to be successful
You will have an added advantage if you have any of the following
- A Master's Degree in Computer Science/Mathematics or comparable working experience
- Experience in the financial industry, preferably payments
- Passion for the reactive programming
- Experience in creating CI/CD pipelines (i.e., Azure DevOps, GitHub)
- Open-Source contributions / active GitHub profile
- Experience with Akka (Java), Akka-streams (Java), reactive spring and/or other reactive frameworks
- Familiarity with functional programming
- Experience on Scala or Kotlin
- Knowledge of ING in-house frameworks for developing back-end services using containers
What we will offer you
A job offer that fits in with the times of today. We will consider both your home situation and your ambitions and help you to balance work and private life. Discover our employment conditions yourself.
To give you an idea, the benefits of working at ING are:
- A job from 36 to 40 hours per week that fits your schedule to balance work and private life
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- 24 vacation days with a 36-hour workweek. (Or 27 days for 40-hour) and 1.5 paid diversity days off
- Bed & Breakfast (Pensions)
- 13th-month salary
- Individual Savings Contribution (BIS), 3.5% of your gross annual salary
- 8% Holiday payment
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues
- Work Agile, so new ideas come to life faster
Contact the recruiter attached to the advertisement for more information. Want to apply directly? Please upload your CV and motivation letter by clicking the "Apply" button.
With around 52,000 employees and operations in approximately 40 countries, there is no shortage of opportunities for people with initiative who want to make a difference.
We hire smart people like you for your potential, not your past. Our biggest expectation is that you'll stay curious. Keep learning.
Take on more responsibility. In return, we'll back you to develop into an even more awesome version of yourself.
If you want to work at the cutting edge of what's possible, surrounded by progressive, inspiring, and supportive colleagues, there is no better place to invest your talents than at ING.
Join us. Apply today.